How to Succeed in Selling the Cloud

Now, when it comes to the ITNewscaster Vocalizer world, I've seen nuts and bolts - and gems too. From the guy who just comes with a set of technical specifications and expects me to find that hidden gem that I was longing for, to the charming salesperson that happens to know my boss and expects me to buy. Even worse, I've seen the salesperson who's so full-of-it trying to "back me into a corner" with arguments like "cloud computing is the new way to go, haven't you noticed it?"

Back to the guy who comes with technical specifications, it always amazes me how they can present you with that very detailed information, expect me to "conceive" my own system, and then give me the ready-made answer of "I'll have to ask my tech guys for that answer". You're challenging me with my knowledge of my own system, expecting me to find a way to introduce your solution, and then are unable to back it up? Be serious guys. You haven't even done your homework before trying to talk to me and then you expect me to buy from you?

In fact, what most cloud computing salespeople are missing is a simple thing: they forget to focus on how cloud computing can help to solve specific problems that I have now. Don't pretend to be the IT guru who knows-it-all; chances are that you are talking to a person who fully masters their own system. Ok, so you have a solution that may heal a pain that I have, so show me how: most of the people you are trying to pitch to wouldn't even care that it's cloud-computing (or any other generic and trendy name that you may come up with), what they want to know is simple: how does it solve their problem?

Do they have issues lowering their IT CAP-EX? Show them how your cloud-based solution lowers it by moving the initial investment for servers and software to operational expenditures via a pay-as-you-go system. Are they desperately seeking a solution that will enable their workforce to be mobile? Do a demo on how you can work from your mobile device (smartphone or tablet). Are they struggling keeping a highly fault-tolerant system and trustworthy backup system? Remind them that your cloud-based solution has redundancy built-in.


Comments